Sunday 9 November 2014

Bare Necessities


This post was inspired by one of my favourite Disney songs; Bear Necessities from The Jungle Book. If I had put the word ‘bear’ in the title, however, it may have conjured up rather questionable images of body hair and who knows what else. Today I bring you three bathroom essentials that will make you skip makeup in the morning, being comfortable to bare your naked skin. Okay, that may have been wishful thinking, but I guarantee you will want to stroke your face for the entire day. These products tackle hydration, blemishes and blackheads; cue a good skin day. 


The ‘acid’ in the title seems a little scary, but it’s nothing like you think. Hyaluronic acid is an enzyme (students of chemistry could correct me here) that provides extreme hydration to the skin. It’s in the form of a sheet mask, one of those that covers the entire face leaving space for the eyes in a horror film like way, definitely worthy of Snapchat (I’ve saved you the heart attack inducing photo of me with it on). Put this mask on and leave it for about 15 to 20 minutes and let that acid work its hydration magic. This is an Asian product but thankfully there are instruction in English on the back. Upon removing the mask, your face will look and feel more plump and dry patches will have disappeared. Let the residue sink into the skin, and when you wake up in the morning you won’t find any flaky skin disturbing your good skin day. These masks are usually on offer and you can pick three up for ten dollars. One to add to the shopping list. 



This is a scrub that is famous around the blogger sphere, and for good reason. Though some people like to use chemical exfoliants on their skin as they are a little more gentle, there is nothing better than manually exfoliating away those disgusting blackheads around your nose. Nice. I like to use this once a week, usually on a Sunday when I wash my hair as it’s easy to remember, even though the tube says to use it 3-4 times a week. This scrub is quite gritty and it definitely rids the skin of any unevenness, but using it more than once a week would anger my skin. It also contains salicylic acid, another acid but this one is good for acne, which means that it is a two for one. Directions are to wet your face, get a good ‘blob’ (really accurate measurements) and massage into the skin. After you use this your skin will honestly feel like your legs do when you shave them, which sounds so strange, but is the only thing I can liken it to. It also has a lovely apricot scent which makes it a pleasure to use. Actually, I think I’ve just sold it to myself again. A scrub might have just been added to my Sunday night plans. 


(Just a little close up of the exfoliating beads for you)


When I spotted this on the shelves a couple of weeks ago in Priceline I let out a little sigh of excitement. This previously UK only brand I had heard beauty bloggers yap on about for a while, choosing to tune out a little as I couldn’t purchase it here in Australia. Not only was it on the shelf, it had been discounted. It was an immediate purchase and I couldn’t wait to use it. Unlike the previous two treatments this mask aims to purify the skin and rid it of bacteria, blemishes, blackheads, and anything else starting with B. When I used this mask for the first time I recognised the texture, but I couldn’t decide what it reminded me of. Finally I remembered that this mask has a very similar texture to my almond spread! It’s quite a thick mask that can be a little hard to even onto the skin, but applied over damp skin and layered lightly it works very well. It does say that this mask will heat up in the five minutes it’s left on for, but I found it to warm up only when I applied it to my fingers. I would say that this is quite gentle mud mask, nothing that will draw blemishes to the surface or completely purge your skin. Use this as a lovely end of week treatment, so at least your skin will look good come Monday morning. 




No comments:

Post a Comment