Sunday 11 January 2015

Getting scammed: A survivor’s story


I’m normally one in shopping centers to completely disregard any shop assistants trying to push samples in my face, often rushing past and avoiding eye contact. I tend to “look down in shame” at those few vulnerable victims who get pulled in by the shop assistant’s charm. For some reason, on a particular weekend, I succumbed to a dubious exchange between a beauty assistant. It appeared that the first mistake I made was to even consider looking at the card the assistant was holding. In a matter of moments he was covering my hand in a honey-like mixture. Perhaps it was the weather, the fact that I had too much time on my hands or that I wasn’t shopping with my mum, but I had become a “victim” like all those I had previously looked down on. 

I could feel my sister beside me cringing and praying that I would just walk away, but unfortunately she was made to stand there and watch while my hands were slathered in beauty ointments. I’m aware I am making this sound a little like I have been taken advantage of perhaps in a more offensive manner, but the general story is quite similar. Replace sexual predator with pushy shop assistant.

Although I studied Psychology for only two years at a secondary level, I sometimes like to think that I’m an expert, often picking up on cues in everyday life. Firstly, he asked my name, also giving his. Using my name repeatedly ensured we established a connection, on a ‘first name basis’ so to speak, and not just two complete strangers. He also commented on how my name ‘Anastasia’ is like the Russian princess; I noted his attempt at flattery. I must admit that he was fairly cute with his foreign, almost unidentifiable accent, but I could see his motives. He told me he was studying Psychology at university (far too coincidental), and then his intentions were confirmed. 

I did, however, gain some new information about skincare. It would be rude to undergo such an experience and not relay it to you all!

  • A good moisturiser should take only seconds to sink into the skin. A great test is to run your fingernail across your skin’s surface; there should be no moisturiser settling into your nail beds
  • Green tea is a natural SPF for everyday use, though not recommended as enough protection for repeated sun exposure
  • It is necessary to exfoliate the skin so that the moisturiser sinks in beneath the surface, not resting on the outer layer of dead skin

After a tutorial of the products, we started discussing prices. You can usually perceive a scam when the price lowers from around $150 retail, where you can buy it for only $70 today. Moreover, the shop assistants will aim for you to buy the product on the spot, but if you are not interested just say that you will have a shop around and think about it. 

This is not so much an attempt to condemn these type of shop assistants or any products in particular, it’s simply a recount of my experience with a warning about such shopping. Maybe you’ll think of this post next time you pass by a beauty stand in a shopping center!


No comments:

Post a Comment