Thursday 19 February 2015

Online Shopping: Is the experience more exciting than the actual purchases themselves?



I have to admit that I am not a long-term member of the online shopping sphere. In my younger days (i.e 2 years ago) I would lust over items, save the pictures to a folder on my desktop entitled “want.need.love” and continue to fix my eyes to the screen, occasionally stopping to wipe saliva off my keyboard. When the item sold out, I would be disappointed. It wasn’t as if I had any chance of buying it in the first place, though the last denial of hope was crushing. And so the cycle continued; I spent hours online coveting celebrities’ style, stalking their clothes, saving pictures and wishing that I could own those shoes, or that handbag. This occupied a majority of my time spent online, until I came across Asos. A website whose shipping did not cost more than the actual item itself? Was this a fact or just an internet phenomenon? Much to the relief of my fashion-crazy mind, the former manifested itself with the typing of a few characters and the tap of a button. I now took the final click into the wonderland-like* world of online shopping…
Living in Australia means that we do not have ready access to international brands, though I do love a good Aussie label. Usually shipping charges are ridiculously high, and I am forced to give up my love for many items. Asos ships to Australia free of charge (for standard shipping for orders over $40), meaning that no additional money is wasted on shipping and handling costs. I must add that for quite a few months I did fall back into my routine and continued to place items in the basket and proceed, not to checkout, but to close the window. Finally I made my first purchase from Asos, a beauty item strangely, and my adoration began from there. Much like my bargain hunting in real life, I waited for emails with discount codes so that I could scrounge every last saving I could. I would get so excited looking at items for hours, scrolling page by page though hundreds of clothes. And then I was introduced to the “Save list.” A place where I could save the item (or items) I was lusting over, full with a picture and everything. Now when I purchase items online, I cannot wait until they arrive. I am constantly checking my emails for updates on the arrival date, and check the letter box religiously. But much like my earlier days spend yearning for clothes online, are we only wrapped up in the thrill of it all? 
As I am writing this post I have the remnants of packaging sitting next to me. This is no exaggeration, the postman literally delivered a package for me this morning. Once the package was ripped opened I proceeded to try on the item, being so pleased that the fit resembled that of the model. I hung the top on a clothes hanger and placed it in my wardrobe. With all the fun over until I wear the item for the first time (oh what a moment that is), my mind drifts onto the next awaiting package. Maybe this is my way of constantly keeping my mind hopeful and positive, always having something to look forward to. Who knew that online shopping could be so philosophical?
I am curious to know whether you, too, find excitement in online shopping. Leave a comment down below telling me about your experiences. 

*Though the white rabbit is synonymous with wonderland, I like to save my rabbits for the real world, as seen here in my Easter post.

Disclaimer: I am not being sponsored to write this post, this is a recount of my genuine experience with online shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment