Sunday 15 February 2015

New to Wardrobe: Evening Dresses



If you are a very close friend of mine then you are probably aware of the excessive and somewhat overflowing collection of dresses I have in my wardrobe. They just might be my favourite item of clothing; easy, mostly comfortable, chic and feminine. Though I probably own a dress to suit every occasion twice over, I seem to keep buying them. Let’s call them my sartorial weakness. I like to know that I have a backup dress should an event arise, one that I love, that fits well, was on sale (of course) so that I am not rushing to the shop the day before, choosing a dress for the sheer need. Today I bring to you three evening appropriate dresses that have recently made it into my wardrobe (Correction: there is no more space in my wardrobe so they hang on my dresser). 


About a month back I saw this dress on the H&M website, as I often like to have a browse of their incoming stock, and I took a screenshot so that I would not forget about it. Well, it seems like my memory lapsed as I picked it up in H&M not knowing it was the dress I had been lusting over just a month before. What attracted me about this dress was firstly the length; I just love a midi or longer length on a body-con. I find that a longer length, tight fitting dress that nips the waist and shows off the décolletage suits my body shape the best. The darker grey, thick, jersey material gave the dress a more casual feel and I could envision wearing the dress with a dark lip and gold accessories. I wore this out clubbing last weekend and I was happy with it, though I did have to adjust it every now and then around the bust. Overall, a fantastic dress at an even better price tag.


This dress is all kinds of dreamy. I first spotted this dress in a frantic shop to find an outfit for a glow in the dark party. The colour is so vibrant and pink. I do love a bit of pink; classic girly girl. I couldn’t justify the $129 price tag at the time, so waited and prayed that it would eventually go on sale. Finally the dress was reduced to $70, but my mum didn’t want to fork out the cash. Yes, I could’ve bought it myself but I’ve had to restrain my spending in recent weeks. When I saw it go down to $40 my heart raced as it’s purchase was nearing. In store there was only a size 10, which I tried to squeeze on, but it was never going to happen. After a search of all the stores in Australia a size 12 had sold out everywhere, and I’m certain my cousin can confirm my disappointment. There was still hope as Myer stock Bardot. The very same day I was in Melbourne Central my mum was in Highpoint and had spotted the size 12, so the next day we went and bought it. It seems that great dresses are somewhat difficult to pin down (pin down, get it?). This dress was definitely well worth the wait, and with all the effort it took to purchase, this will become my birthday dress. Much like the dress for my 16th birthday I have purchased this about half a year before my birthdate. See, I like to be prepared. 


In about a month long intensive search of Asos almost everyday trying to find a dress for valedictory, this dress made it into one of the final edits. Fortunately I found a dress in Australia, in store that I could try on and purchase on the spot. Is anyone interested in seeing what I wore to valedictory? When this dress made it into the sale I was overjoyed, and at around $32? Absolute bargain. I will admit that this dress does look better on the model (though doesn’t everything) and it will require some adjustment around the bust, but I think that this dress is perfect for a formal evening occasion. The deep navy scuba material is very thick and therefore expensive looking. The subtle bow detail is a modern take on a classic mini dress which I adore. Concludingly, a dress that will come in very handy for any cocktail events (not that I have any planned, of course). 

No comments:

Post a Comment