Sunday 8 February 2015

OOTD#5 Feminine Power Dressing






Often, it’s the outfits that require the least effort that become the most striking, or give the wearer the most confidence. On this particular day, I had the idea that I wanted to wear my new wedges, and given that the weather was 25 degrees, I wanted to wear a skirt. Putting on my white wedges with my grey midi skirt I looked to my wardrobe for a top. Pulling out a black top, something that is almost rare amongst my rack of pink, printed and textured tops, I decided to try it on. Instantly, I knew it was going to be a good outfit day (therefore, worthy of being documented!). 

The power this outfit gave me was almost unidentifiable. I instantly felt like the editor of a magazine; understated, strong, powerful and minimalistic. A Jackie French, an Anna Wintour of sorts. Not that I have the deluded idea that my fashion sense is anywhere near the realms of fashion royalty, though one can play dress up even if they’ve passed the age of five. “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have” is the quote that encapsulates this outfit. 

The slightly flared, wide arms and the straight cut neckline gave power to what might have been a plain black top. I decided to skip wearing a necklace as the neckline felt like it was a feature in itself, and wore a black and gold watch instead which added an androgynous vibe. The slightly oversized top paired with the midi skirt gave this outfit a mature look; one that is different to my usual form fitting pieces. One not need don a blazer and a tailored trouser to emulate the strength and authority of their male counterparts. Power dressing is usually defined by garments that radiate a masculine undertone, but here a skirt can create the same effect. 


So what have I learned from this outfit? Feminism is still alive and can be reflected through fashion, I do not need to wear a blazer to feel like I can conquer the world and fashion can truly create an identity for the wearer. That and perhaps I need to work on my “editorial” face, as I was trying to create more serious and professional looking photographs. Maybe I should just stick to smiling?

Outfit details:
Black top- Portmans
Grey Midi Skirt- Sunnygirl
Watch- Asos
Shoes- Kmart 

No comments:

Post a Comment