Sunday 14 December 2014

The Kimono







In the same weekend that I had a shopping spree, seen in this Instagram post, it was a given that I also had purchases from H&M. Personally, H&M is like the upper class cousin of Kmart, where I can buy items at full retail price, not have to wait for sales and not be embarrassed to shop there (though let me be honest, I’m not ashamed in the slightest to shop at Kmart!). I spotted this kimono on the rack and immediately tried it on (I normally just try things on then and there rather than waiting in line for the change rooms, if the item requires little effort or removal of clothes). I had been searching for a kimono that was longer in length, and priced at $29.95 it was a great find. Its shape also did not look strange on my shoulders, which sometimes can happen with pieces like kimonos, and its length did not highlight my shorter height. 

That day, though mid spring, had a heat very much like summer temperatures which meant that air conditioning was in full force in the shops. I decided to wear my kimono on its day of purchase, a sign that it truly was a good buy, protecting me from the slight chill of the air conditioning. As a cool change swept (quite literally, it was extremely windy) through Melbourne, my kimono served another purpose. Wrapping the kimono across my chest I protected the wind from hitting me, and in the car it served as an almost dressing gown as I wrapped the long, soft fabric around myself as I waited for my mother to return from the supermarket. On returning home and placing the kimono on a hanger, I had a revelation. A quick search on the laptop and I discovered that this kimono was the one I had been coveting for months from Lily Pebbles’ blog post here. She had uploaded that post in May, and I now bought this in November. I could not believe the time that it took clothing to come into stores in Australia. It does make clear sense that a kimono would not be appropriate attire for May in Australia as the temperature drops, but it was crazy that it was six months ago that I had first spotted this online. H&M had just opened in Melbourne; it feels like it was years ago. This year has been drawn out, though it has passed so quickly, at least fashion can act as a reminder of the year that has been. 

(Similar kimono from H&M here)

No comments:

Post a Comment